RCU Forums - View Single Post - Batteries running-in and swollen batteries
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 AM
wagen017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Batteries running-in and swollen batteries

ORIGINAL: serious power

ORIGINAL: wagen017

Don't know, and I also wonder about the statement. Is it really about running in of packs or more of a safety approach where you observe if packs are stable?

Volkert
Hi Volkert,
I don't really know much about the internal workings of lipos or what is going on with them when new.
I do know that there is something that happens in the first runs.
When they are new (and it seems lying up for a while) they are a little dead/down on performance.
They definitely improve with running - they seem to 'break in'.
I have not measured this improvement but I would say they peak at 10 to 15 flights in.
It stands to reason so that if they are 'stiff' when new they would heat more easily if pushed hard thus causing harm.
The problem is that this harm does not show immediately. It will result in poor performance later on in the packs life and thus is difficult to relate to the initial runs.

Brian
That is an excellent point Brian and I agree with you, there seems to be a breaking-in happening. I for one have not have had compelling evidence from my own experience which suggests what would be the best way to achieve this break in. "normal operation" flying F3A to does not look to be pushing the batteries to the max. We typically don't use more then 15C max so normal flying might be a good breaking in process.

Volkert