RCU Forums - View Single Post - Explain this please
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Explain this please

One other fact to point out is that LiFe packs have a very flat discharge curve with a very sharp knee at the point of exhaustion. This means that the voltage remains fairly constant throughout the discharge process of that pack. For this very reason, devices such as Voltwatch2 and such devices can give you a false sense of security with regard to remaining charge in an LiFe pack. So, use these devices carefully and monitor your flight times.

It's really best to know how much battery you would consume in a normal flight and base the remaining charge on the overall capacity to determine how many flights you can safely have when starting out with a fully charged pack.

I am extremely conservative when it comes to flight times and battery duration. I will not fly if I think I am approaching a point where I would be leary of the remaining charge in a pack. There is just to much to lose. Lose the plane, that's one thing. Crash it into a crowd, or into someone's property, well, that's a very different situation and it just isn't worth it to get "one more flight" that day.

CGr.