RCU Forums - View Single Post - Weatronics....considering a change .is it worth the investment?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Lance Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Weatronics....considering a change .is it worth the investment?

It's just the built in ground speed / gps calculated speed. I know it's been quite accurate and consistent, in my experience. Bear in mind, the wind on any given day will have to be taken into account.

For example I was working with a friend that also has Weatronic, and kept landing his Kingcat too fast, and almost getting into trouble with the bouncing cycle.
To prove a point, we went up and stalled it 3 times at high altitude, and found that it stalled at 37, 37, and 38 mph with full landing flaps, on our 3 samples.
Then we looked at his landings, and saw his average speed he was touching down at was 60+ mph.

Great example to have peace of mind to get deeper into the stall, set it down on the mains first, and keep the nose gear from touching first. Being able to shoot a perfect landing, and see what that looked and felt like, and then look at the speed you touched down at, in this case say 45-50 mph, and realize you still have a very comfortable margin above stall (just incase a headwind suddenly disappeared on you), is quite nice.

By looking at the gps height, second by second, and spotting the moment it stops descending, it's easy to see the touchdown speed.

These are the types of things that never even occurred to me when I was getting started with the system.

Lance