RCU Forums - View Single Post - rookie needs help buying a rc truck!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rookie needs help buying a rc truck!

ORIGINAL: budbuzz350

i'm looking to buy a RC truck. to bash around in my yard. plus i want it to go fast down the street. i don't want to spend alot of money. i have been looking at these for my choices

made by redcat :VolcanoEPXPRO,Caldera10E
made by hpi.: e-savage sport truck
made by traxxas.: stamped xl-5
i know this hobby is expensive. and regardless things will need to be upgraded. if i could afford it i would get the new E-maxx. this is just a starter truck i really only want to spend around $200.00
if it's really worth going around $300-$350 i will. but rather stick to around $200. and buy upgraded charger and batteries. once i get one and save up to buy the E-maxx then i will pass this truck down to by 4 year old son.
i want my truck to pop wheelies. bash around my yard(my yard has a nice hill for jumping) and will go pretty fast. any suggestions with my list or know of a better one?

I wouldn't get a single truck you mentioned (Including the E-maxx)
E-savage is dated, and not much parts support
Stampede XL-5 too expensive for what you get as others stated there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good.
Caldera wouldn't recommend a Redcat to a beginner as some of their models can be temperamental. Now if you had a few RC's, and knew more then they are fine to get somethign to screw around with.

E-maxx weak bulkheads you will be spending a quite a bit more on upgrades right out of the box...

Vehicles I would recommend that I own

HPI Wheely King (I own one) Plenty of parts support, and I'd estimate pretty near the speed of a xl-5 pede As its name it wheelies alot

Tamiya Plasma Edge. Buggy so no wheelies (this is a kit, and requires it to be built, and purchase of additional parts like the radio) It can be made to run for $170ish but has no battery. (own 2 of them) and unless you are trying to make it go flying at 50mph (like my one which has well over $200 in upgrades) it is almost perfectly fine with the parts out of the box without any upgrades (there is 1 $5 upgrade I would greatly recommend) Only issue is parts support isn't that great in the US and most parts have to come from china. Bright side is the only thing I ever broke was a chassis when I was sliding at 40 mph into a wall(wouldn't have broke if I did the $5 mod) which Tamiya USA sells so I didn't have to wait

Vehicles I'd recommend that I don't own, but either own one in the family, or haven't really read anything bad about

HPI Crawler King (essentially the same as WK, just it is slower, and has a little lower center of gravity so it don't wheelie)
The EXC's that BKoz559 said. (I'd go with the ruckus at the minimum)

Last is one I plan on getting when I have some spare cash, and its released (should be next month)
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/110-EP-...2_p_11172.html

Things to look at instead of the E-maxx
Thunder Tiger MT4 G3
Stampede 4X4 (lil expensive, but its not a bad RC)