RCU Forums - View Single Post - rookie needs help buying a rc truck!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: rookie needs help buying a rc truck!

here is some info on the redcat's

syco used the word tempermental. Not far off. See, these models ship from china where they are made. So, unlike most other major brands which models get thorughly inspected, they dont.

What this means is that some fitment issues, not fully tightened bolts, not properly set gear mesh ect can be present.

The servos included in many of their models also have a high fail rate. Redcat's warrenty will replace them, but its usually easier to buy a mg996r or similar cheap metal geared servo as an upgrade. So fixing the weak servo can cost less than $20.

I have owned most of their brushless models.

I check all screws, add bits of nitro tubing to the drive cups to cushion the dogbones, check the gear mesh, move the camber links to the hole closest to the hub ect. These checks and small adjustments make these models hold up well and be alot of fun.

If you chose a redcat, the volcano or the caldera are the ones to go for. The tornado is a bit more durable (shorter arms and such hold up better to impacts) but it has less ground clearance. I did add taller tires to mine tho

The caldera is a bigger truck than the volcano. But out of the box the volcano is faster. I prefer the volcano.

So, the redcat 1/10 brushless models are alot of "bang for your buck", but you will have to put a bit of work into them for them to hold up as well as more expensive models. If you are not "handy" then the work/tuning needed can be frustrating. Thats why some dont recommend them for beginners.

If your limit is $200 and you are set on a fast 4wd, the redcats are a good option, as most brushless 4wd models cost ALOT more.

If you look up 999benhonda on youtube, you will see I have a few vids of bashing redcats.

Onto the esavage. Cool truck. A bit pricey considering there is little parts support. HPI should really drop the price on these trucks.

The emaxx has the issue of snapping its driveshafts (even in stock form) Those shafts are not cheap or fun to replace. As mentioned the bulkheads are weak as well. Traxxas is too lazy to correct these issues, even in the newwer brushless version.

If 2wd's will work for you, then more options open up.

The ECX trucks have been mentioned. The torment (I own one) is fun even in stock form...provided you have a track. But, drop a cheap ($60-$100) brushless system into it and its a blast.

There are other brushed short course trucks as well. The torment is best IMO cause it offers pretty much what the others do but for less. The sc10, blitz are better handling, and the traxxas slash comes waterproof. But those models are $40-$80 more than the torment.

There are also the Arrma models. Havent owned one yet but they look decent.