RCU Forums - View Single Post - Whats so special about jets?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whats so special about jets?

Tony. I agree with your take on it right down the wire. Except, I once thought the very same way you did when it comes to an EDF. I thought out loud I would never have one of them in my house. I also use to tell my employees to never say never. Lol. I have four now. Lmbo. Take a real close look at some of the Youtubes on a CMP L-39 90 mm EDF. They get cooler every time I watch them. Mine came in the mail last week. Ha. Ha. You will come over to the dark side. Lol.
ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

The wow factor is, how many $$$ did you say this kit is going to cost me. My new car cost less than that.
I only partly agree with that. Sure... there is a ''WOW'' when you see someone drag out a $20k jet.... but I get a wow factor from my ''Dollar Store'' jets all the same. (I have well under $1500 into any one of my jets)

I think the ''WOW'' comes from the essence of what it is. It's a Turbine... it's small... and it actually runs !!!!! Also... unlike a little glow engine... it sounds, and smells like the real thing.

I'm right with Eddie on his performance thoughts. If jet's were hard to fly... I wouldn't do it. I would simply have an engine on a stand, and I would play with it once in a while. I'm not the typical Jet-Jock. I fly at half power most of the time, and keep it well under 100 mph. But watching my jets fly past... smooth... and then pull up for a full throttle climb out.... and nothing has put a bigger smile on my face in RC in a very long time.

I can honestly say.... the actual ''JET'' air frame isn't it at all. In my +30 years of flying RC... I've never owned a pusher-Jet, or an EDF. Neither one does anything for me. I have recently thought about an EDF... but every time I look at them... I think to myself... ''Why spend the money?''

It's 100% the engine, and what it brings to the party. So... the Hart of the model, moves the Soul of the pilot.