RCU Forums - View Single Post - Koverall creases?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Koverall creases?

Applying the Koverall is a new and as yet uncomfortable process. I'm using SIG Stix-it as the adhesive. I start by applying two coats of the Stix-it to the outside edges of the frame and to to undercambered bottom of the ribs. After this dries, I position the Koverall and run an iron along the underside of the LE. When this "sets" I trim the fabric at the LE so there's about a 1/8 inch extra. Then I apply a further coat of Stix-it and with my figure press the extra bit of fabric down.

Next comes the tricky bit of wrapping the fabric around the TE wires and pulling it semi-taut back against the top side of the LE. I can't say I have a "system" for this yet. Once the one-piece covering is attached, I lightly iron the bottom to take out most of the looseness, than do the same for the top. At this point, I start working my way back from the LE to the TE watching to see how the fabric pulls against the wire. By the time I've done this top and bottom, the wing panel looks generally good. Next comes the wing tip.

What I don't yet quite get (as a long time solartex user) is how to finish all the edges, for example at the wing root. With solartex (which is a lot like working with tissue) I just made some cut and folded the flaps over and stuck them down with an iron. The Koverall seems more difficult in this regard.

Les, no worries about the fabric sticking to itself since there's no adhesive backing on Koverall.