RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch Built 1/8 Scale Azure AZ279 Build Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM
tonykalil
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scratch Built 1/8 Scale Azure AZ279 Build Thread

Wow. I am surprised by the dimensions of the SeaRay. It is tough to get models to look that good in that scale. Did they have any larger ones?

Mine is tough enough at 8th scale. That puts me at 37 1/2" in length, and 12 3/4" in beam. I might build the AZ298 next, as it has a better length to beam ratio. The AZ259 that I modelled was quite tall for its length, to make a comfortable cabin interior. But the lines were carefully developed to make the boat look lower profile in real life. If you look at the All Black Z model in the first post pics, you will see that a new color break and a low profile windshield made a pretty cool sport boat...

The tough thing about producing them is the intellectual property in the hulls. I would love to produce them, but I have utility patents on the chine fin, sound suppression in the step, the chine extensions, and the warp in the outer running surfaces. If somebody buys one from you and pops a mold off of it, I will have to chase down every single one and send them a cease and desist notice. In US commerce, if somebody infringes your patent, and you do nothing about it, then you essentially void out your own intellectual property (Its called abandonment)

The royalties associated with building them vs the legal costs I will have defending my IP simply will not equate.

I would love to stop by your shop, or even develop a boat that would be suitable for RC with no IP to cause me to lose sleep though.