RCU Forums - View Single Post - Strongest 46 engine
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Strongest 46 engine

I have read the rules below:

http://students.sae.org/competitions...ules/rules.pdf

I assume that this is the advanced class which is limited to .46 max size. Nobrand is mentioned. An intrestingfact is thatthoughthedisplacement is limited to .46you can use as many engines as you want. Also you can use a tuned pipe.Gear reduction is allowed. How about a helicopter head to help? A hybrid? Multiple rotor helicopter? Seems to be a lot of possibilities.

Since Fox is known for both high power and torque with low nitro fuel (less fuel so smaller tank and weight), and is rather light, I would think that this is the very best engine for this class. Not sure if the 46 is available (it was previously but not shown on their site.but if it is then it is timed for a pipe. Fox has been known to report their engines for pipes so the45 is also a possibity. Jett has also known to report their engines for thecustomers requirements. If you tellFox or Jett the competiton rules and talk to their engineering departmentthey may be abletocustom make the engine. I do not see any restrictions in the rules on this. Idoubt OS, TT, Magnum, or others would do this, but you never now.l I would call all of theengineering departmentsofas manycompanies I could and pick the one thatseems easiest to deal with.

I don't understandthe scoring for the cargoweight. A plane that carries 15 pounds will have a score of 1 over 9, a plane that carriesno payloadwill have a score of 26 buta plane that carries greater than 30 pounds will have a score greater than 26.This and the emptyweight score is subtracted from the drop score (which is a negative number if thesand bag is closerthan 50 feet from the target,soIguess the low score wins.Whew! Because of this I am not sure if mutiple engines would be of much asset or not. It would surely be less reliable, though a centerline twin might help.FPV is used with some type of sighting system is used! Talk about cool!