RCU Forums - View Single Post - Please stop me from buying a D8T....
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please stop me from buying a D8T....

Okay - I officially have a problem. I have YET to break in my Savage X 4.6, and about to buy another vehicle. My wife will flip if another big box arrives here. Even my 12-year old son has made a comment "Dad, you sure do spend a lot on our RC cars". ;-)

I am one click away from purchasing a Hot Bodies D8T.

Some boring background:
1. When I first got into "the hobby", I thought truggies were SUVs (stupid useless vehicles). Now, as with dish wheels, I see the sheer beauty in them. Granted, I have yet to drive one, my getting a truggy is definitely on my wish list.
2. Not thinking I'd get one anytime soon, I've been looking at various ones just for fun.. I've researched the Losi eight-T, AE RCT, Mugen MBX-6TR, but the D8T has always had my attention.
3. Yes, I admit I was suckered in even more when Tessman won the 2012 ROAR Nationals with his D8T. I'm also smart enough to realize the driver is the great equalizer, but when I read about it, I thought "Yep, that's the truggy I have my eye on".

Why I want this:
1. I found it on Amain for $334.00. With the others I've noted are in thr 500-600 range, this is definitely "reasonably priced".
2, I'm ready to try my hand at racing. Right now, I can only race the vehicles you see in my sig line. I know I'll get my ***** handed to me when I start racing, but at least with the D8T, I won't be thinking, "If I only had a racer".
3. I want a kit. I've yet to build a nitro vehicle, and am looking for something without an extreme price tag for my first kit. At the same time, I want to to be something that I can race and be proud of.
4. Did I mention it's only $334 on Amain? Tower Hobbies has them for $493.00, i've seen other places with prices in between, but Amain is the best price I've seen. Plus I have a lot of loyalty points to cash in on Amain.
5. I want a truggy. I want a truggy to race with..

My questions to you:
1. Why suchprice difference in this and similar truggies? People are winning national championships with this, so I assume it is not junk.
2. IF I do buy it, it will sit in its box until we move. It will be my first "buid" in the workshop I am designing for our new house, which is a good 3+ months away. This is okay, however, as my hands are full with the vehicles I have now....but what a way to break in my new workshop! Not a question - just a statement, I guess. ;-)
3. Does the price fluctuate much on these things? i.e. Is this an incredible bargain I should seize now? Is Amain clearing this product from their inventory? Or, in 3-5 months should I see similar if not a lower price for this? I'd HATE if in a few months Amain lists it at $420, as an example.
4. What engine should I get for it? (I know this is another topic altogether, but I'll throw it out here anyway!).
5. Am I nuts for just buying one now and let it sit in its box for 3+ months (while I research engines/servos, etc for it?) and christen my new workshop with it?

Thanks for reading this long post. I value most everyone's opinion on this forum, so need a reality check here. I've already got the D8T in my cart at Amain and ready to pull the trigger. Is there a reason I should not? Am I missing something?

Thanks!!