RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Tiger Club
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Here's my Tiger 2 modified to a twin for an engine out thrust experiment. We put about 8 degrees of out thrust to test how it flew on one engine.

Tiger 2 ARF, OS .46AX engines. Nacelles added. Weight 8.5 lbs

After trim flights, we fueled one tank full and the other half full. We wanted the loss of an engine to be unexpected, like it really would be. The engines were cranked and I took off, flying a normal flight with lots of acro. The out thrust worked because the plane slowing down was all that told me I had lost an engine. And my buddy mentioned it, too. I did not require any rudder input. After the one engine shut down, I did more acro, carefully at first, including turns both directions, rolls both directions, loops, Immelmanns, Cuban-8s. Landing was no problem. See photo.

We did other flights alternating which engine had the light fuel load. I noticed no difference in which engine quit. In case you are interested in the math, 8 degrees of out thrust still leaves you with over 99% of your forward thrust. (Cos 8 = .99027)

In case you are wondering about the black thing under the plane on the in-flight photo, the covering is not coming off (yet). We added a black ribbon to the bottom as a yaw indicator so I could fly overhead and check the yaw. Some of you old time jet pilots might remember yaw strings. The T-bird (T-33) and the F-4 had them.

Ed_Moorman #51

Ed This is tremendous. What sort of top speed did you get with this setup? this looks like it would be loads of fun.
Also how did it balance. did you put the RX pack in the nose?