RCU Forums - View Single Post - *Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 AM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: *Official* Caldera 10E Video, Picture And Discussion Thread

> ok i need some help i need to upgrade my caldera minimal effort. i'll buy all the commonly
> broken parts "PetRock " posted and i got a new servo.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get everything up front: you could wait until you break something then just add a couple extra items on your order to save some shipping. But if you're planning to keep the Caldera and put lots of miles on it then it can't hurt.

For motors the 4000kv looks fine: if anything consider the 3500kv 3660 since if you're going to keep running it with larger tires you may find you can't gear down enough on the 4000kv to keep the heat reasonable (and consider something closer to 2500kv if you'll run on 3s all the time). But the ESCis a bit small: the stock motor is a 380-rotor-in-finned-540 can... one size up from that is a unfinned 540, and you're going to a 550/3660... you're effectively going up 2 motor sizes. The HobbyPartz page for the Tacon lists it as a 1200w motor... and if you decide to run it on 3s that would be 1200w / (3x4.2v) = +-100a peak. A 35a ESC can peak much higher than 35a... but I think you'll have problems with overheating the ESC all the time. A 60a or 80a would be more reasonable. Something like a 80a HobbyKing is beefy and cheap, though it won't fit where your stock ESCis now (it's too wide). I just mount mine on the top plate.

As for tires there's lots that will fit on the Caldera. If you like the look of the larger rims with less tire sidewall any rims for a Traxxas Stampede 4wd or the fronts on the 2wd will fit, then you can put on any tires for Traxxas 2.8" rims. If you want to stick with the stock Caldera SCrims then any 2.2"-inner/3"-outer SC rubber will fit (that's the standard size)... but know that real SCrubber is a bit smaller diameter than what Redcat gives you. Here's Redcat on the right and a standard Associated SC10 SC tire on the left: