RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another NitroPlanes Conversion (CMP T-45)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another NitroPlanes Conversion (CMP T-45)

ORIGINAL: larry11

Well, how did the maiden go?

I got back from the Titusville Turbofest last night (was there for 2 days)... and it was a great time. We had about 30 pilots show up... with a total of +50 models. This Jet rally was open to both turbine, and EDF... so there was a lot of very nice, high-end EDF jets. And needless to say... everyone who looked at my Hawk, wanted to know what "Fan" was in it. (lol)

OK... after being spooked with all the horror stories of how bad the tip tendency is with this little t-45... and how a turbine in it was a bad idea... I deiced to let a pro do the maiden. So... I asked Jim Hiller (The AMA turbine guy) to go over it... and give it it's maiden. He was very happy to give the little Hawk a try. After working out a few issues, and fixing one of the landing gear legs (we cracked the mount on a BIG hole) The T-45 was ready.

The runway we were flying from, is a full scale runway... so there are some cracks in it... big enough to swallow a small tire. So... he setup close to a crack to the left of us... and with the power of the wren (even turned down to 8 Lbs of thrust) it was off the ground before the next crack. So... it was off the ground in about 80' to 100'. At that point... it went vertical for about 500', and Jim rolled it over, to start to trim it. After a few tweaks... she was flying hands off, with half power. (at about 90 mph)

A few of the guys watching wanted to see it go full throttle... and I said... OK... but because the landing gear is fixed (a lot of drag) I don't think it got over 120~130 mph. BUT... We didn't hold it open long, because I don't think it would hold together. (lol)

On landing... we used full flaps, with a little crow mixed in. (about 5 to 8 degrees of up aileron) We also kept about 10% power, and flew it to the ground. Even with the power on... it landed around 40 mph. But, once the power was cut... it settled on the the runway smooth as silk. With full flap, and crow... it showed no tendency to tip.

Needless to say... because it came off the ground so quick... and the vertical was unlimited... there is no plans right now to turn the Wren up to full power. (10#'s thrust) She flies great with 8#'s.

That's my T-45 and Falcon 120 On Saturday morning, at the "TurboFest."