RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:33 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

Ibelieve the times are changing. Why build a plane when you can buy a toy foamy and fly it right out of the box. Why go the flying field when you can plug in the flight simulator. When I was a kid 8 years old and up, we had to build a plane before we could fly it. There was no internet, or video games, Gun Smoke and the Rifleman didn't come on TV until 7 and 8 PM. You had to be creative to find something to occupy your time. I found C/L airplanes.

The kids of the 80s, know only instant gradification. Plug and Play. They have usually always had whatever they wanted just handed to them. Now, they just want to fly and fly now. If it doesn't work on batteries, they aren't interested. If it has to be put together, they aren't interested. If they can't fly it in their back yard or their living room, they aren't interested.

This isn't true for everyone, but I think for the vast majority I am afraid it is.

I am now 62 years old, still building and flying and will continue for as long as I can. I've been a club officer, and contest director and put on many events in my time. I still go to work day at the field and the club meetings. And most of the others there with me are about my same age. The younger guys usually show up at the field after all the work is done and drag out their foamies and RTFs.

Yes, times have changed.

Frank