RCU Forums - View Single Post - Platt Zero Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM
rlemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Platt Zero Build Thread

Hi Nergall,

Where-ever you have panel lines (flush panel lines, overlapping is a bit different), you apply the chart-pak tape along those lines. It's a little tricky to work with at first, but just take your time and make sure you have a very sharp blade (I use a scalpel). As you get to each corner, just go a little past it and trim it with the knife. Note that you don't want to cross the tape. Where tape meets (like in a + for example), cut to each side of one of the lines so that the tape is level and flush. I didn't do this my first time and it caused problems when I later went to sand and remove the tape. It can also cause the primer to get up under the tape and cause it to react with the adhesive and bubble up a bit.

Once the tape is applied, just shoot the primer over it and overlap a couple of inches or so. Note that the overlap will pretty much happen on it's own if you are using rattle can primer since it goes on with a fairly large spray pattern. If you are using an airbrush just make sure you don't cause a sharp "bump" around your tape or you will notice it when you sand and paint. You'll need to spray at-least a few cotes (or more depending on what type of primer you are using). Keep in mind that the primer will build up on the tap as well as the surface around it, so don't try to keep spraying until you can't see the tape or you'll wind up with 1/2" of primer on it.

Once done, you'll need to sand down to where you can see the top of the tape. I use wet sanding for this but that's up to you. I use 220 (gently) then 320 grit. Once you have sanded to the point where your tape is showing, then clean everything up real good and start pulling the tape out. It's a bit tricky at first, just make sure you have something with a really small tip. I use a dental tool or the scalpel, but to each their own. Keep in mind that sometimes the tape will pull apart and you won't get it all. Look at the tape after you pull each strand and if you see where it looks thinner or you only see a clear section, that means you have left some in the indention. Just grab the end and gently pull out.

That's pretty much it. This is one of those things that can be a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it.. it really isn't hard at all. However, I would try it on something other than your plane first just to get a feel for it.

I'm sure others have some other good techniques here as well, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I could be doing better.

Later,
Russ