RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Dornier DO 335
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

Have now decided on a power setup. Originally wanted to use two power 160's on 10s 5000 each. However, after thinking about it for a bit and totalling prices compared to a different idea....

Club discount at local hobby store yields $117ea for power 160's and 120HV turnigy dlux esc's run $103ea....so thats $440. Both motors would be running 20x10's. Ive used a turnigy dlux 160hv on a 10s setup with a power 160 with zero problems.

BUT....

Here's my other idea..

A rimfire 65cc at local shop discount is $233 and castle 160hv is $220. So......total of $453. Setup would be running the 20x14 Beila 3 blade prop I had gotten and not used for the esm Dora9 and the gene barton spinner has already been cut for 3 blades. SO.....only $13 more then two 160's and their esc's. I know the 65cc rimfire flies my D9 with authority on 12s so it'll be more then adequate for this plane even at 30+ pounds.
I know what you're saying....Kahloq....your only gonna use ONE motor? You? Really???

NOPE......at the tail I will use a smaller motor with smaller prop. I have a couple 5-6s motors lying around and esc's that are not being used. So no additional cost there. A smaller prop at tail will aid on not breaking or scuffing them up plus smaller motor/prop means less tail weight and the 65cc rimfire weighs a good deal more then a power 160 so benefit there on the nose weight for CG. Im thinking a 16x10x3 MAS for this motor. Still plenty of oomph, but not even needed at all. I could even set this up on a mix with an on/off switch and could turn it off at will....though that kinda defeats the purpose of running two motors LOL.

The batteries for the 65cc rimfire I already have also.......2x 6s 8000mah packs. So that will be great for the needed nose weight as well.

Now due to the heavier motor up front, Ill need to add strength there as some have mentioned when using a 50cc gasser. Which also will be good for CG reasons.