RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

The youth of today have been trained from birth to expect instant gratification and non-competitive environments. They have no sense of accomplishment, as they haven't struggled to master any skill, idea, concept, or subject matter. They can't lose (bad for their self-esteem, y'know) so they'll never win. Image is everything, substance is something to abuse. Competition is viewed as hurtful.

They spend a pile of money to compete - and lose. They quit competing when they can't buy a winner. This is not confined to our hobby - our whole society has devolved to the lowest common denominator.

I attended a "fun" pistol match last year. Two entrants emerged from the firing line swearing about how f'n unfair the simple 25-yard shoot was. They were late 20s, early 30s, nicely dressed, and had just missed the target with all shots from some very expensive semi-custom pistols. As there were ladies and children present, I approached them and asked them to tone down the language. They sized me up, and complied. I then asked what the unfair part was, and they said they had never shot that far before. I asked if they had read the rules for the event - which were published a month ahead - and they both had. Yep, they practiced at their customary FIVE yards - that's where they could blaze away and usually hit the target. They declined my offer to test their guns, and never returned to another competition.

I am a high school teacher, and I find my biggest challange is getting students to desire excellence. They want the rewards, but refuse to put in any effort.

Kits required learning skills and developing craftsmanship - hobby activities. ARFs removed patience, dedication, and craftsmanship from the equation. Electric foamies moved it into the amusement/toy category.

This country has become a nation of wussies. We have the most obese young people ever, all looking to "get by" in school and "find" a job that pays top dollar without effort, duties, or responsibilities. Actually, they hope the job finds them, 'cuz they're too good to have to go out looking for a job...