RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-100 build from plans
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: F-100 build from plans

I must say I am impressed to bits by the original model. By today's standards it is small, and with not a huge amount of thrust, yet it had a brake chute, rear bumper, jettisonable drop tanks, opening canopy, and leading edge slats though reading between the lines the slats were not radio operated but fixed in open or closed position prior to the flight.

Slats are not shown on the pictures of the plan further up this thread, I guess what Art Johnson did was cut the foam then use another modified root and tip template to cut the slats from it along the entire span, then cut off a root and tip from the slat and glue them back onto the wing to leave him with the slat? It would be great to have them servo driven since now we have enough channels and powerful small servos that just were not available in 1985. It could be a faff trying to get that into a foam wing, what are opinions about modifying the built-up wing to have slats?

Harry

PS Plan ordered, let's hope that we see several of these come to fruition and flying in the not too distant future!