RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

Very true, countylaw. They are called 'helicopter parents' which will always hover above their kids and make sure no 'evil' will hit them.
These kids can not concentrate on anything, can not handle failure and will likely be unemployed unless mom and dad buys them a fancy degree where
they will destroy lots of companies and jobs.

Its not even the kids fault - the parents are to blame. We all see plenty of examples.

I have seen parents who don't want their kids outside to play, it's too hot, too cold, they get lost, kindnapped, bla bla

What will these kids do in their later life? Most of those can't handle life once their are grown up.

Rant off.

So there is another very active thread about our hobby shops. I do not see anything there I really want. Little foamies would not keep my in the hobby.
When I was a kid and saw the frist rc plane, I wanted one. It took many years from there to get one. It was a glider, given to me by a neigbor who lost
interest after building his first plane. The wings were warped and it just didn't want to fly right.
But I kept trying. Today a child would loose interest after a few minutes.

Hard to say how we can change this situation. The parents had to be involved, as well as the schools.
In 7th grade our school (I grew up in Germany) wanted suggestions for a 'project week' - my buddy and me suggested modelling
and there was a class held where a bunch of kid build a free flight glider (Graupner - Der kleine Uhu - the little owl).
This was a great success.
Also in our club we had some flying event throughout the season. Over a weekend we had thousands of spectators and always found a few to sign up
and become a member of the club.

If you build it, they will come....