RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

What has your club done to promote itself lately?

Our club has the exact opposite problem, in the last 2 years we've picked up so many new members that it is now difficult to get flight time on a Saturday morning. But we have a brand new blacktop runway, have new "personal facilities", have new electrical connections and have actively promoted the club at the LHSs and local events. It hasn't been easy and it hasn't been free, but the club is busier than it's ever been in the 26 years that I've been associated with it and busier than any I've seen in 45 years of aeromodeling.

Yes, the complexion of RC has changed. There are more ARFs and fewer builders, times change. But with the current spate of inexpensive ARFs and dirt cheap RC equipment, there are more people than ever looking for a good field that can support their desire to learn and fly.

Provide a runway that will handle light electric ARFs, have electricity available at the field, provide instructors to teach the newbies, tell people you are there and the world will beat a path to your door. But be careful what you ask for, you may get it. You might wind up with so many members that it'll be difficult to get flight time.

Dave