RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

I think there are many variables to clubs that decline. Things like economy, distance, field upkeep, etc. contribute. One thing that really is lacking is public relations. I cannot tell you how many people don't even know about RC clubs. Also, some paint and a little elbow grease can promote your clubs.

Clubs are about people and sometimes clubs need some change for the better. I am in two clubs. One has about 60+ members and the other only has 9. I enjoy flying more at the club with 9 just because the folks seem much more easy going and don't let things bother them. The club with 60+ seem to have some drama at times and have lost some memberships.

The club with 9 members is very remote and not many people in the area would be interested in learning RC. Most just don't have the extra money to invest right now and I work a lot so I can only do so much right now as well. The fellows in the club are older men and only have so many more years to go in life. Some of them have been flying for over 35 years! It is one of the oldest clubs in Virginia.

I am trying to get a few younger people involved to help carry the club on as long as possible and as long as the land owner allows them to keep it. The main group mostly fly on Sunday evenings and the rest of the time the field is wide open. I often fly alone if I go over on Saturdays or during the week. I think there are only me and one other person under 70 in the club and if I am not mistaken the rest are mid-seventies upwards above 80 (rough guess).

I plan to put up a new sign this winter and seek out some "fresh" RC'ers. If I can afford to I might run a couple small adds or make a few flyers just to throw around to see if there is any interest next year. The club would only want to increase by maybe 3-5 members and 15 is a good number.