RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

ORIGINAL: SeaJay

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I
The kids of the 80s, know only instant gradification. Plug and Play. They have usually always had whatever they wanted just handed to them. Now, they just want to fly and fly now. If it doesn't work on batteries, they aren't interested. If it has to be put together, they aren't interested. If they can't fly it in their back yard or their living room, they aren't interested.

This isn't true for everyone, but I think for the vast majority I am afraid it is.

I am a "Kid of the 80's" and as far as I remember, there were very few ARF type of kits, and of those that did exist were of questionable Quality, and pretty expensive at that... I built My Sig Kadet MKII in the very early 80's, and it took me about 6 months to complete.. I am now 47, still have that Kadet, (No, not currently flyable).. I don't remember the "Instant Gratification" part of the hobby in the 80's, unless 6 months build time was considered "Instant"!

Hey, Lopflyers, and anyone else who will be in the Central Florida area on Sat Oct 13th.. My club "Osceola Flyers" in Kissimmee is having an Open Fun Fly on Sat Oct 13.. Come on out if you can, would love to meet you!!!

Craig.

SeaJay,
We were talking about kids born in the 80's. They are now in their late 20's and still living at home with mom.
In the 80's there were just a few ARF manufacturers around. And most of us remember them, Lanier, John Casburne's " Super Lucky fly", were two of them. If you wanted to fly, you had to spend the time building.

Frank