RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 AM
bruceal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

It seems that it is difficult to get new blood in the hobby. My club, Hudson Valley Radio Control Club in NY holds an air show every Summer and we feature buddy box time. Last year we had 63 participants and this year 45. Everyone enjoyed it but they rarely come back and take it further. A lot of them will go to a "hobby shop" and buy some little foam airplane, take it to a school yard and try to fly it. We all know what happens next. I always encourage people not to buy anything until they fly a few times and are ready to make a committment to buy something that we can put on a buddy box for them.

I also have the habit of always bringing a trainer to the field on weekends so I can offer visitors a chance to try the hobby. I believe that along with the kids, it's just as important to go after the adults. They have the money and time to pursue the hobby and hopefuly they in turn will introduce the hobby to their kids and grand kids.