RCU Forums - View Single Post - The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 AM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The times, they are a changin! Say it ain't so Joe?

As a younger rc aviator (36 yrs) I disagree that "instant gratification" is secluded to any generation and I believe this mentality has always been a part of our hobby. Who isn't overly eager to jump into any hobby when they've tasted something they really enjoy? With huge advancements in rc modeling production, getting your hands on a ready-to-fly aircraft is easier then ever. However, that doesn't mean it's easier then ever to learn to fly.
Regardless of age or technology, the principle of and understanding how to fly remain the same. And this requires time & patience. Are there individuals who want to fly "right now"? Absolutely, but they quickly learn it's not that easy and some will eventually walk away. Like full scale, dedication is a requirement for our hobby and for some that level of dedication is not worth the reward.
I've trained numerous rc pilots from 7yrs to 67yrs of age and each has come to me expecting to get their pilots wings in a weekend. I tell them that this will take time and patience and they often reply, "On your end?". I laugh and say, "No, on your end." Then I proceed to explain the rewards and the thrill you get when after what seems like forever (for training), you take off and fly on your own for the first time. I tell everyone who asks that rc aviation is an investment in a life-long hobby and if you treat it with respect, it will return the favor with memories and friends that last a long time.
Regardless of how you come to own your aircraft, from scratch, a kit, an ARF, etc., or its size, it boils down to becoming positive stewards of model aviation and educating those who ask about our hobby - pilots and nonpilots alike. Excitement is contagious and securing the future of our hobby depends on sharing that any way you can.

-andrew

Side Note: jester_s1hit on another very important and growing populace of our hobby; the casual flier. They're just as dedicated to the love of the hobby, but in their own way. Nicely put Jester.