RCU Forums - View Single Post - JS 7 Heavy Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JS 7 Heavy Tank

From all I have read on the JS series...have to agree that the series should have ended with the JS-2. The JS-3 was so mechanically bad, that it was all Russia could do to have them running for the big 1945 Berlin parade. Those that were issued, rarely made it out of the motor pool. Those that were sold to Egypt were used very sparingly and only seen running by IDF crews after capture in Israel. The T-10, which was supposed to replace the JS-3 had terrible wheel bearing and road wheel design problems among other turret-crew operational issues and nothing after that ever became standard issue.

The JS-7 is a very nice looking tank, but as indicated, working space in the turret was a major issue, and then carrying only 30 rounds.[:'(]...I went through that in a day with my M-46, but we had 70 rounds as basic load and my 90mm was more accurate and had a much higher ROF than any 130mm. .

In spite of all, I am very convinced that our M-48 was designed after the JS-3, after the initial scare it threw into the allied forces when it was shown in the famous 1945 parade.