RCU Forums - View Single Post - Finishing for a TF GS P-51D
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Finishing for a TF GS P-51D

Thanks guys and this is what the forum is for so I dont mind contributing.

Yes Russ your right. Basically its called fidelity, find one source and stick with it. In this case since your replicating the general nomenclature that is set by governmant standards and applied by the factory its a safe bet to use a trusted source that is different from your nose art source. That is unless you have proof that the plane your doing and the standard application of the call outs is different then you have to go with that source to be more accurate to the subject plane.

I explain it as telling a story with your model to give it context. If you figure out when and where the plane has been it makes it easier to detail it, the road map is set in front of you by real history. You dont have to go nuts either, just some info will make a big differrence in your approach to solving these details. Beyond that you can go so far as to figuring out the right color of dust for the region in North Africa where the plane was flown from...who knows, but it can be as detailed as you like.

Keep it going Im looking forward to your finished project.

Chris

P.S. there have been several BBD's replicated after the war and they are different in some details so beware of the source here again. Try to find wartime images and info if possible otherwise Id suggest going with Uppupa Epops for the service graphics and your source for the BBD nose art. Seems like the best compromise and it will produce a good result without too much of a headache. I have more photos of Uppupa Epops if you like.