RCU Forums - View Single Post - IMAC "BOX" SIZE
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
badarkstar
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IMAC

My guess that the other IMAC guys are saying you are flying in to close may be the same reason as what I tell 90 % of the guys i help out. You may start at the distance out from yourself that is comfortable for you. The problem arises when you cannot hold that same distance out. Typically most everyone will end up closer than they intended unless there is a nice crosswind blowing out. Most people when flying back and forth on a parallel line to the runway will fly with their inside wing low. (go to the field and watch them ) This will naturaly tend to bring the plane in towards the pilot. Added to this, is the fact that when you pull into a 45 or vertical line at the end box, it will make matters worse because you will tend to bend the line in towards you. (again go to the field and watch) Add to all of this, the first mistake you make where you under/over roll, and on the exit it comes pointing in towards you (again, pretty common) and you can see where it is very common to have a newer IMAC pilot trying to finish his manuevers while looking strait up while overhead, and trying to not break the deadline. (worse when you have a crosswind in youe face)

It is a lot of work to get this first basic part of IMAC correct, and is really the essence of becoming an accomplished IMAC competitor, to hold this distance consistently while keeping the line, strait, level and parallel to the runway. Watch the top couple pilots in basic and sportsman at a contest, they usually will have this mastered, and the reason they are at the top of the class, is they are starting each manuever with a 10, or close too it.
I will usually start someone out further than what they think to allow for a little bit of wiggle room for this phenomenom of them inching (sometimes by many feet at a time) in towards them. Once we get this basic premise of holding the distance of their flight consistent, then we can possibly start closer, so it s easier to see.

Bill Adams