RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bullet proof!!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bullet proof!!!!

ORIGINAL: Bill Clark

I have always flown Futaba and since the 2.4 module came out for my 14mz back in '08 I have never had one single radio issue. This is over a span of about 3000 flights in pattern, 3D, and foamies.
The other day I was practicing a 3D maneuver over a pond where I fly in the morning before work every day. This was with a 42'' foamy that has 4 3156 servos, 617FS RX and CC25 esc all mounted on the bottom of the wing. I dumb thumbed and the plane hit the water right side up out in the middle of the pond. All the electronics were completely submerged. I had no way to get to it so I said ''what the hell'' and started the motor. it wouldn’t completely start because of water resistance but I could go on and off the throttle to propel it back to shore. I had to us the rudder to steer it and it took at least 5 min to get it to shore. I quickly disassembled the RX and cut the heatshrink off the esc to let air dry. I took one servo apart and it was dry inside. That was a week ago and this past weekend I finally had the time to put it back together. Everything worked just as before so I flew it even without a range check (over the same pond). That was 12 flights ago and everything is working as it should. If this isn’t a testament to Futabas reliability I don’t know what is. Just thought I'd share as I and those whom I have told so far find this amazing. I am practicing that maneuver a few feet higher now.
Hi Bill......
If the pond had been salt water you would have thrown away the green mess a week ago that used to be the electronics!
I have some experience with this having flown Pattern a lot over the Long Beach Calif harbor some years ago.
The best thing to do is just cut the wires and toss the electronics back in!