RCU Forums - View Single Post - HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Hey guys......i was looking to move up to a larger class heli (500-600)....i noticed that hk sells these for a pretty good price and was wondering which one yall might recommend.....i would like to go with the 600 but doesnt seem to have a good rating like a couple of the 500s do.....anyway......500 would be good for keeping parts cost down and i dont know much about a 550 class (whats the difference?)......any input would be much appreciated......thanks guys.......bp

Morning BP!

A year or so ago I bought and built the HK500 for about 250USD all up (less batteries).

A FINE flying machine!

I think Bryan still has it.

Re: 500 vs 550, in a word BIGGER.

If you read my previous blathering I spoke of the virtues of the simplicity of size for orientation, mass (ease of flyi) and overall workability (no tiny parts), it's a no brainer if you wallet muscle is up to it!

Once again, where I'm at on the 550 is that if I buy an Align "super combo" vs. the HK550, the difference is 250ish USD! The HK is 750 using all their parts vs. 1K on the Align using system matched parts. The reason HUGH went with the HK, in essence is that he had a LOT of the parts laying around. Me, I have none.

So for my personal condition, if I were to spring for a 550, I'd do the Grand!

I'm at a stage to where I'm not certain that I am enjoying flying all that much!

However, holidays and "specials" are around the corner.

The LHS said that Align is selling the Align 550FBL super combo in the fall without that crappy 3G gyro! Hmmmm?

You ARE heading in the right direction!

b

EDIT: Additionally, as purported by my flying buddies out at the club, since the 550 uses "full size servo's" when a crash occurs, you don't strip them! So it is effectively cheaper to crash a 550 vs. a 500!