RCU Forums - View Single Post - Batteries running-in and swollen batteries
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Batteries running-in and swollen batteries

Hi All,

I sent my questions to John Grzan from LEO Energy Pte Ltd the manufacturer of the Cellpro 10xp.

Here are his answers:

What do we know about battery running-in?
Is it really necessary at all?
Not required

I know what running-in does for I.C. engine, but what does it do for battery? Nothing

Up till now, according to the battery distributors recommendations, I used to fly a new battery 5 times with not more power than half throttle. Yah they are distributors……not manufacturers like us

This is an unpleasant process; especially if you don't understand why it is needed and what it does to the battery.

Lately a friend of mine told me that his friend, someone who works in the U.A.V. industries, told him that that type of running-in (fly 5 times with not more power then half throttle) does not do any good for the battery.
True and agree

He claims that a real running-in process is: charge the battery at about 0.5 C and discharge it at about 0.2 C, 5 times.

My friend told me that since he started to run-in his batteries this way, his batteries do not become swollen during the time.

I think that you have the best knowledge about my questions.
Can you answer my questions?
Yes, glad to help

Can I use my Cellpro 10xp charger to run-in new batteries? You can use any of our chargers and our batteries too but you don’t need to run in.

If the answer is yes, I think it will be a good idea to upgrade the Cellpro 10xp software by adding a new preset function: Run-in, Have you consider that?
Yah nice idea if it were true

I know that during the first few cycles of a new battery the internal resistant of the Lipo cells going down and start to match each other, as a professional, can you explain me way that happened and what is the chemical process that is happening inside the cells during that period?
As a professional I never heard of such a thing. Why would they start to match each other?

If some thing is happening during the first few cycles of a new battery does it meter what is the current consumption strength during that period and why?No answer.

Best regards,

Isaac Najary