RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gentle Lady Removable Wingtips Option
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gentle Lady Removable Wingtips Option

Two alignment rods are proven from years and years of use.

The stabilators on lots of gliders often were two different size piano wire rods, one where the rotation was and one where the stab's AOA was controlled. The heavier one was not only the hinge but was also more than strong enough to carry the stab load. Now..... why go into all this? because.....

The two stabilator halves were held on the airplane by the smaller, aft rod. Nobody usually liked the idea until they did it. First time I saw it was a Sagitta kit. (also the first stabilator design I saw) I didn't like it. Why? Because you simply kinked the wire rod and relied on the kink to hold the two halves together. I glued one side just because. The kink is just enough to bind the wire rod in the tube but not so much the wire won't go in. It works like gangbusters. That Sagitta 600 is hanging in the shop right now. If I had a flying site large enough for a highstart, that Sagitta would be flying right now.

Would I hold a wing together like that? Nah. Not a 2 piece wing. But I've seen a 3 piece wing with the outer panels held on that way.

For the smaller pin, if you're going to use piano wire or CF rod, the smallest you can handle will be way more than strong enough.