RCU Forums - View Single Post - Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Datavision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has TopFlite gone nuts with the price??

That's right, time is scarce. If some guys have time to build, that's great for them, but i barely have time to assemble the arfs.
Money, it costs me much more to build something than put together an ARF. Plans, cutting parts, hardware, glue, covering, I can't build it for less than the arf.
Nitroplanes versus Hangar 9, you just cannot compare. NP stuff is sometimes closeouts and rejects, no parts or support, I've had enough of them. For the time I put into assemblling them, and the cost of the motors and electronics and other stuff, its just not worth it. I'd rather get Hangar 9 and something that will have less problems and more flying.
The TF arfs are nice, except for the monokote finish, which I do not like. This new FW190 looks like it is painted, which is a big difference to me. I think they are reasonable value for the money, things cost more these days. You could not buy a yellow aircraft or byron in kit form, for this kind of money back in the day.
The ones I have been really liking are the Easytiger warbirds...if you wait, you can catch most of them on sale prices, or work out a deal with him over the phone, and get a big warbird, fiberglass, and painted, for $895. Much bigger than the Top Flite ones. But I think this new TF 190 is nice, and I think people just forget what things cost these days, and all the trips to the hobby store for parts and supplies, how much each little thing costs, when you build from scratch.