RCU Forums - View Single Post - kit building, tail vs nose weight
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 02:00 PM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: kit building, tail vs nose weight

G'day

Thanks for Mr Stang for the picture. They really are worth a thousand words.

My first Butterfly had an OS 26 four stroke in it. I was worried it would not be enough as a hobby shop man told me his had an OS 25 two stroke in it. I need not have worried. The little four stroke was perfect as it was happy to idle for long periods while I glided around with the Butterfly. It would stay up for ages. The longest flight was about 45 minutes and I only came down then because another person wanted the frequency I was using.

My current one originally had another 26 in it but it now has a Saito 30. If I were building one these days, I would seriously consider making it electric for two reasons. (1) it would stay cleaner and (2) the ability to stop and start the motor is a real advantage with a plane like the Butterfly. It really is a glider and flies much better as a glider than when it is under power.

It was also the first plane I landed. I was still very much learning to fly and yet on its first flight I landed it. They are really brilliant planes when used the way they are intended.

Cheers

Mike in Oz