RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need a reason to keep my Laser Cutter
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Need a reason to keep my Laser Cutter

Welcome TFF and Thailazer! The laser is a Universal VL 200 and if you want to know a little about how it works you can download the manual here: http://engraversnetwork.com/support/...s_manuals.html

OK let's talk software. First I am not a professional CAD designer, engineer or laser operator. I'm just a regular type modeler who has an interest in this stuff. If you are a professional than this little experiment will probably bore you to tears! I'm just learning this stuff myself and although I have spent much time researching, I am by no means an authority.

I use Delta Cad because it is very simple, easy to use and works with my laser which is my priority. You may use whatever software you wish and I will be happy to include you in everything we do here. You will just have to export in a format I can use if you want me to cut anythng for you. Most any program will be able to export in a usable format so don't get too wound up about this.

There are lots of CAD options out there that will work and most graphics oriented software will work also, like Corel Draw. The problem with graphics programs like Corel Draw is that although they wll work they are not intended for CAD type work. They are designed for making artwork like brochures or etchings which the laser cutter WILL do nicely but is NOT what we want to do. I looked very hard at Corel Draw and even bought a copy but the problem is that it is not designed to do CAD and not many people use it for that. Although there are lots of tutorials out there for Corel Draw they are not targeted to CAD drawing but instead targeted toward drawing art. So you will spend ALOT of time learning Corel Draw but you will not learn much about doing what it is we want to do here.

Alternatively you could consider AutoCad (big big bucks) or Turbo Cad ( not as much $$) but what you will find is that they are too powerful with too many features. You may become overwelmed with all of the tools, options and settings that you will never really learn how to use it. Most of the CAD software these days is 3D capable which increases the complexity even more. Let's face it, all we REALLY need to draw a model airplane is very simple tools. We need the ability to accurately draw straight lines, arcs, circles etc. Delta Cad while only having a small fraction of the capability of AutoCad, has everything we need to draw any model plane with incredible accuracy. Why spend time learning about tools or features you may never need? Everything you need and nothing you don't!

Plus Delta Cad works very similar to other Cad Software so in the future if you really get into this aspect of the hobby and decide that you need more power you will already have a very good understanding of how CAD Software works.

Here is my first challenge to any of you that are interested. Download a free copy of Delta Cad and spend a good uninterrupted 2 hours going through the tutorial in the manual. You will be drawing a calculator. If after you draw the calculator you don't believe that you could draw an airplane without too much more effort then just erase it from your computer. No harm done, no hard feelings.

However if you believe that there may be some truth to what I say then just drop me a PM and I wll send you a Delta Cad file of the first airplane I drew and have already cut on the laser. I'm building it now and hope to fly it by November! The airplane is very small and you will be able to print many of the parts on your printer so you can see for yourself how it works. You will be able to modify the airplane as you see fit and see how even a beginner can draw with Delta Cad.