RCU Forums - View Single Post - No more ARF's for me
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 PM
FLYMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No more ARF's for me

Lets defy what a hobbyist is, one that fly's planes and does not build or repair.What is a modeler one who repairs,builds,fly's to me that is the difference.As for arf's i believe they have a place,When i started this hobby 20yrs ago i purchased a hobbico trainer for my first plane i had no experience in building.It gave me a good foundation to get to know the parts of the aircraft.Then i purchased another hobbico arf a low wing trainer.I was considered the arf guy at the club they were built good and flew well.My 3rd plane was a great planes super sportster a kit to build,my wife bought it for me.When i opened up the box and pulled out the plans i went wow how will i ever build this thing.I never had any experience building from plans,but i knew i had to build it my wife paid the money for this kit.Well i can tell you i did build this kit with no help from anyone i did it all myself.When i was done with this kit i was proud of my achievements.I could never have done it without building those 2 arf kits.So i like arf kits as well.For those that say all arf kits are cheaply built they don't know what they are talking about.I now have built 18 planes a few arfs and many kits.Some of the kits i have buit have not had the best quality in wood or design.And i highly recommend building a plane from a kit there's nothing like it.You feel on top of the world when you finish the job,then go out to watch it lift off the ground into the air and fly so nicely.All i can say to those of you who do not learn to build your own kits you don't know what your missing!The satisfaction it gives you is incredible!
Finally someone who talks some sense! for me it is all down to what you want to do. My choice to buy my ARFs had nothing to do with wanting to watch TV and be on the internet It is because I did research on them and they had positive reviews. I trusted the factory more than my own skills and yes I would rather be building my flying skills than building a kit. That is just a personal choice and I can definitely see the satisfaction of assembling a kit properly. I have experienced that satasfaction from fixing my ARFs after crashes due to pilot error, NOT the plane.