RCU Forums - View Single Post - Finishing for a TF GS P-51D
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
rlemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finishing for a TF GS P-51D

I finally got the wing detailed and started painting it tonight. I think I matched up a gray color that matches the aluminum look ok, but we'll see.

I'm having a problem though. After I sprayed, I noticed I'm getting some orange peel for the final paint job. I've seen this before and whenever I look
online to find out what the cause of it is, I find about a 1000 hits and 20 different answers. So I'll provide the details and hopefully one of you will
have some idea as to what I'm doing wrong.

The gun is a Harbour Freight (Central Pneumatic Professional) gun. It is the larger of two that I bought in a kit. It's an HVLP with a recommended 30-35 PSI
pressure usage. The paint is the same Pant Shop (Duplicolor) paint I mentioned above. It is pre-thinned and it is a milky consistency. I'm spraying at the bottom number
of 30 PSI and though it varies, I'm holding the gun about 6 - 8 inches away from the wing when I spray. I sprayed a light coat at first, waited about
5 minutes then sprayed the wet coat. I was kinda overly cautious not to get too much on and get runs, so maybe I just didn't get enough on for it to
flow out correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts. I don't have my camera handy right now, but I can get pictures tomorrow. It may change after it has had a chance to dry more.

Thanks,
Russ