RCU Forums - View Single Post - DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

I realized that I mistakenly indicated the engine I'm working on is a DA 20 but in fact it is a copy of a DLE-20, actually
it is a RCG-20
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15381

and I'm not certain it is quite identical.  the DLE-20 ignition system has 1 high voltage line and 3 wires for input/outputs
1 wire is for power, one is for the Hall sensor, and 1 wire is for the optional tach.

I'm not certain the RCG ignition box has the tach option.  I don't recall when I buried it in the plane and will have to dig it back out.

I have been testing using a "Y" that taps the signal on the Hall effect output line.  Just connecting the yellow signal line doesn't work.
I did get some readings when I used the original crankcase designed sensor and placed it at a 45 degree angle over the magnet
that is embedded in the crankshaft, but it was so critical, a millimeter of movement would cause it to stop working.

From reading the thread, it appears that using the Hall effect from the ignition system may or may not require ground going to the TM1000,
I wish folks would post more pictures, as this really helps.  Also we need to really pay attention to what leads are being used.  I totally overlooked the fact that some ignition systems have an actual 3rd lead dedicated to Tach function.

Right now I am leaning towards just going optical.  I have had such great success on electric motors just painting the can black or using black electrical tape, and putting the silver dot supplied with the SPM 1452 sensor.  On my engine, last night I placed a ring of black electrical tape on the collar leaving a strip open where the magnet is located.  Still, I would prefer an electrical pick-up if it is possible.

KKKKFL