RCU Forums - View Single Post - DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

Andy;

After testing on the bench, I took the telemetry back off the plane. Without knowing whether or not the system was buffered, I was not willing to risk the undermining of the other design features that I put in place to isolate the CDI from the receiver. As I understand it,depending on certain conditions presented by the CDI, the receiver could be impacted. Seems likethis is a potential weakness of telemetry andone must be willing to take the added risk to use it. I also believe in KISS.

Are you saying that one should not do the above describedmod. and stick to the Spectrum RPM Sensor becausethe Spectrum Sensoris electrically insulated/isolated from the engine? Or are you saying either way, one takes the risk of the CDI interfering with the receiver. Or, ... are you saying there is no risk?

Speaking ofreceiver failures, ...my relatively new AR 9210 failed in the air today. I sent itback to HH for replacement. Fortunately the receivers still were working and the Hitec HV Servos could take the full voltage of the 2S LiPos. I think the Voltage regulation went out. ?? All 6 on-board LEDS were lit. Rudder twitching was the airborne tip-off of a problem. Fortunetely, the Failsafe Evolution Power System/Reciever is truely failsafe! I landed the plane safely w/o incident! I had a spare AR 9210, which I inserted and it works just fine,so it's back to the airport for me shortly.