RCU Forums - View Single Post - DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

Andy seems to think if we stick with their designed telemetry equipment that we will not have an isolation problem. They have apparently tested this equipment fairly significantly.  Andy did mention that you need to stay away from the spark plug harnesses.

I am putting the telemetry back in to monitor Receiver Voltage and Engine Temp. I have the DLE RPM indicator on the plane. For now, that is all I need.  But, I have to fab up or order a couple extensions to get the Telemetry module exactly where I want it. Also, I took all the receiver and servo current and voltage measurements, including end-points, etc., yesterday. Now I have a good baseline for post telemetry installation.

On a side note:

I am kind of glad that I did not have telemetry in when my Rxer died last week. I would have been suspicious of it. On the flip-side, had I been monitoring the Rxer voltage a bit closer with telemetry before lift off, I may have seen the problem I had before committing to the air. But then, who knows. Maybe I had a high voltage condition and the voltage alarm on the DX8 would not have sounded anyway, etc.  Maybe the problem initiated after I took off? That is when the rudder started twitching. But once the hatch was closed, problem indication was limited (i.e. I had not installed the two remote problem indicating LEDs. But, they are in there now!) Also, doing the final hatch closing, after warming up  the plane, now seems to make sense. That would allow a visual check of the receiver's/power system's problem LEDs one of the last things I do before take off. Jeez, it is almost like you got to have a sequential checklist to get one of these things safely in the air! Maybe I'll go back to my foamies and helis?