RCU Forums - View Single Post - Titebond glue
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Titebond glue

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I do remember double gluing with Ambroid. And I don't always remember what I had for lunch TODAY. I never used Sigment. That I remember I think...

I've used Elmers and Titebond forever. Before CA came along, I'd thin some titebond with pure water to put together a wing in a night. It seemed to need the thinning to be easier to use. A small paintbrush made it work. It was quicker to apply and was easier to get the right amount in the right place. CA doesn't bother me unless I get too much in one place, and I love the way the stuff works.

And of course, nowadays I don't do any scratch building. I still got the drawing board and pens, but just don't have the contests to go to anymore. They were the inspiration for the new designs.

Any aliphatic glue does good. CA does too. We got the best of both worlds.
You may confuse people with the term scratch building, it's now used often when plans building.
A scratch builder draws there own designs and plans then cuts there parts themselves, a plans builder buys the plans and cuts there own kit from the templates drawn on the plans and builds the plane. Kit builders buy a pre cut kit and build the pre cut parts.
Then you have the ARFers that glue all the pre built and covered pieces together. Assembling!
I use the term plans builder myself, I haven't designed and built my own sense 1963. Plans are much easier for me these days. I no longer have my drafting board or machine and have never been able to figure out how to use a CAD on a computer. I'm lucky to have figured out email.