RCU Forums - View Single Post - Please ID this chassis for me
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Please ID this chassis for me

The hilux showed up today.

Its a bit rougher than I had hoped. Still worth more than I paid tho.

The stock motor is dead. Turning the rear wheels by hand and moving the shift lever I can get it into all 3 speeds. Was a bit rough at 1st....but then I put a few drops of oil in each oiling hole and now its fairly smooth!

There is some rust on a few bits.

One rear hub is damaged. Where the hub is supposed to touch the driveshaft is stripped (like having the hex of your 12mm wheel stripped out)
So I will have to find one of those.

Other than that the driveline seems 100%

The steering linkage is all there as well.

The wheels are good....but the tires not so much. Only 1 tire is still usable. The others are all rotted and ripped.

I have decided that I will be selling it. Not sure if I will put it up as a whole, or part it out. If it were summer time (when I usually have more money on hand) then I would fix it up..install new tires and electronics and a lexan body and run it.

It is cool to hold one of these beauties in my hands tho. to feel the weight, to see the detail up close. My respect for tamiya just went up 10 fold. To think they had something like this in '82! With slightly updated electronics this truck would still be top notch today. No need to change the chassis/driveline.