RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA issues new guidelines for FPV
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA issues new guidelines for FPV

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

People doing illegal things have gotten picked on a little bit, so if you're grouping all FPV flyers with them then I suppose they've been picked on. The crux of the FPV issue though (and what I see FPV pilots being so sensitive about) is that we have a solid 80 years of hobby tradition that has established a set of safety regulations. Some of those regulations, like flying over people and property are just good common sense considering how often RC planes crash unexpectedly, sometimes due to equipment failures that remain unexplained. Some others, such as flying beyond line of sight, are also good common sense but haven't been possible before FPV came out. For some reason though, the FPV community wants to thumb its nose at the established safety regulations that have served the hobby quite well and have kept us from needing to worry about government regulations. You're getting sensitive that FPV pilots are being picked on, but I'm pretty sensitive that a group of hobbyists are ignoring common sense safety regulations for their own amusement. If you do something illegal (the original point) expect to get picked on by responsible modelers. If you do something unsafe, expect to be reprimanded for it. FPV is a really neat and exciting new way to do the hobby, but some maturity is in order to make sure that it doesn't become a less safe activity than standard flying is.

I guess we should go ahead and throw them free flight boys under the bus too... as I've listened to many accounts from the old timers reveling about the good 'ole days when their models flew away....

Oh wait, that is part of traditional hobbying...sorry... Yep, they should be allowed to fly those type of models even though they have zero on-board vision capability or any ability to change course what-so-ever, since we've already been doing that.... Hey...I started to sound like Kid epoxy a little bit there...

Look, rationalize however you wish but a few little FPV foam airplanes or small light weight flying devices only present big problems to small minds...and we need not fuel them...
crank,
It appears to me that the only one making a problem here is you.

Regards
Frank