RCU Forums - View Single Post - RAM Beacon causes servo glitching; Help
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RAM Beacon causes servo glitching; Help

ORIGINAL: GoNavy Oh, I should also mention something else: The long extension to the servo in the nose is a Hitec "boostered" extension.
I understand the little circuitry there boosts the signal voltage to the servo if it is weak. I thought these were also able to remove unwanted interference, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
Boosted Servo "Y" and Extension Leads Full details and diagrams at Servo City, extract:
"A buffer-booster extension is basically a servo signal amplifier.
. Whenever you are running a servo over a considerable distance (24"+) from the receiver or you are running
two or more servos off of the same channel. Each servo absorbs a little of the servo control signal coming out of the receiver.
As more servos are added, the signal to each servo is weakened. The effect of multiple servos (as in two or more servos on a Y-harness)
add up and therfore may cause jittering or lack of constant control.
It boosts the signal from the receiver so that the servo receives a cleaner, clearer, more powerful signal.

. Some servos utilize circuits that set an input threshold level at a certain fraction of the line voltage so that any signal below
the threshold will be rejected as random noise. Unfortunately, the threshold is normally about 50% of the power supply voltage.
This works fine for 4.8V batteries (threshold is 2.4V) or partially discharged 6V batteries (threshold is 3V) but a fully charged 6V battery
peaks out at 7.2V (threshold of 3.6V) or multiple servos on a 6V system threshold 3V but multiple servos load the receiver output to
below 3V which leads to intermittent or jittery operation.
A buffer-booster will increase the line signal voltage back up to your original power supply input levels.
"

Beware of Miracle Wye The connectors maybe Hitec/JR compatible.
The Miracle wyes electronics or design parameters must be designed to be used with Futaba/Hitec RX equipment or
whatever you specifically use.
The brand to brand requirements are different when considering the use of amplified wyes or extensions which causes
problems on 6v.
All receivers have a voltage regulator onboard to protect their ICs.
The output level of the control signal going to the servo is not the same from JR to Futaba/Hitec.
JR receivers output the full battery voltage on the servo signal line. Futaba/Hitec receivers output about 3.3V to the servo
on the signal line, with some recent Futaba signal now lower. All receivers pass the full input voltage to the servo power lead.
Perhaps some older Hitec units (been discontinued for a couple of years or so) maystill beavailable LHS. use in my large J3.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23441.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1819866