RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 91 VRDF experts wanted
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 91 VRDF experts wanted

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hey FF..didn't know that you've wrestled with one of these engine before. I've seen them often for sale with no time on them. Compared to running .50 sized [and under] engines and that size of plane do you see any advantages with running this engine..?
At 21-22,000 rpm is this engine built to take it over the long haul compared to let's say a .45 that is run at 24-25,000...?
I've always liked the idea of trying one of these engines, but figured that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and have reached a point where if I want to add a new toy around here, I must get rid of 2 old toys first......
I first discovered how well they ran is when I'd run the engine through at the end of the day with FAI fuel. I would do this for DF and Marine engines. If you don't do this, the bearings wont last. The engine was down on power a tad and you really had to lean it. I used a clip on rolling IV clamp so I didn't have to mess with my flight needle setting. One day I was out of 30% and too lazy and didn't want to spend the gas money to get some more so I pulled all the gaskets and hoped the piston wouldn't hit the head....what the heck, roll the dice. Well it ran fine, but it was visibly down on power and the engine easier to fall off the needle setting. Perhaps It would have ran better with the pipe re-tuned for the low nitro, but it doesn't matter any more as the plane flew away from home some weeks later.

As you know, you need a clean plane (dart) and flight time is limited by tank size, however before you even consider this, make sure you have a nice selection/candidates of CF props actually in your paws, not on order, not shown in stock and not promised, just in your hands and good luck with that. Cut down and thinned wood props work, but they are very fragile and time consuming.