RCU Forums - View Single Post - Black Horse Models FW190 A8 70"w.s.
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Horse Models FW190 A8 70

I bought the kit from a guy with too many plans... he gave it up for cheap...

I built it and put a DLE 20 in it (there's a thread where people had serious reservations about cutting up the cowl for the DLE30 I have)... It was spinning a Zoar 16X8 but I'm trying out a 16X10 right now...

I swapped out the robart air retracts with eFlite 60 120 size electrics... (I've never had air retracts and didn't want the hassle)... my mistake.. the E-Flight retracts cycle all by themselves... individually up and down while I'm flying... there's a thread but no real specific fix.. I tried the extra battery, a new y cable, etc.. to no avail...

My biggest problem in the last two days was the right wing landing gear mount rolled right out of the wing yesterday... It wasn't a hard strike or anything... the wheel pigeon toed in and nose the plane over at about 10MPH.. it rolled the mount right out of the wing... I glassed the **** our of it last night convinced that it would survive the apocalypse and went flying today and the other mount "rolled" out of the wing... I've just glassed the **** out of that one too now... (BTW.. a bad landing now would only serve to either break the wing in half or push the entire thing through the top of the wing)

I like the DLE... pulls ok I guess.. I don't know the quirks and none of the club guys are "sharing" info with a noob like me. The plane flies very scale... lots of fun to watch doing low passes at speed and bank up into a slow aileron roll... loops look terrible, slow inverted flight is not a FW190 strong suit. Any complaints I have about how well it flies has to be tempered with the fact that I'm a terrible pilot who thinks he knows more than he does...

she lands a lot easier with a head wind... <- very easy
she's faster than similar planes with bigger engines... <- racing zirolli Zero around the patter (Zenoah 65) but he's a much better pilot than I am...

btw.. has anyone pulled the covering off the wing to glass the sheeted wing? I'm tempted to do so and wondered if anyone had any thoughts... I'm good with an air brush for color scheme but the rivets would kill me... Also... anyone have recommendations on better electric retracts.. I bought 90 degree e Flights and they lean out a bit... (yes... i know I'm lazy but I got them on sale at the local hobby store - $100 instead of $150)