RCU Forums - View Single Post - Comp ARF Spitfire build
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF Spitfire build

COMP ARF SPITFIRE WITH MVVS 80 AUTOSTART

I decided, having nothing better to do one day, to change the Zenoah 62 in my Spit, as pictured above earlier in this thread. Why? Well whilst the 62 was just fine, I just fancied trying this new Autostart system from MVVS (no more prop swinging for me, I am getting too old!!) plus nothing annoys me more than carrying dead weight up front. Now even Ali's great looking "Pink Princess " pictured earlier, which is also fitted with the MVVS 80, sorry I mean Evolution 80, has a ton of lead up front making it more lucrative than the model to the local scrap metal tea leafs.

Also, the spark plug on the Z62 did stick out and the hole on the RHS for the carb was also bugging me (yes I know I have a non-scale hole for the exhaust and the cooling inlet up front but some things are easier to avoid than others and life is too short).

Well the MVVS and all the extra autostart bits motor, gear ESC etc fitted just fine and all with the stock silencer. This MVVS80 also has the spark plug fitted at an angle so is fully enclosed in the cowl. You need to mount the engine at a slight angle (see pics) and I needed a short 12mm prop shaft extension (or you can simply add a couple more prop anodised blue MVVS prop washers, you get two with the engine, which is about right.

OK you do have to cut the fiirewall and set it further back but its worth it and on the plus side- no extra weight up front to balance, so model still weighs in at about 33lbs but with no dead weight (the starter system and ancillaries does add quite a few extra pounds to the engine so it will not suit some warbirds with long noses)
Read on for more details of the installation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11846.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1822095   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10821.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1822096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60683.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	115.3 KB