RCU Forums - View Single Post - Attaching a 10mm prop to a 8mm motor shaft.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Attaching a 10mm prop to a 8mm motor shaft.

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Setting up for a big electric isn't as easy as some make it sound.
First, you shouldn't start with a prop near the max limit unless it's been tried and found to work reliably with that particular motor/ESC/battery setup. If unsure, then it's best to 'back into' which prop to use by trying one that's undersize at least an inch or two, checking the RPM vs. amp load and temp of components at WOT. I know it's not the most economical way, but is better than frying a motor or ESC the first time out. Been there, with the T-shirt. [X(]
Another important consideration is not running the prop above its rev limit, remembering you'll gain 10%+ RPM in the air as the prop unloads. Last, I don't know why anyone would run a gasser prop in an E application. The E prop is lighter to take acceleration loads off the motor, which means less heat, mechanical stress, etc. There is an E prop, or 3, out there that will be perfect for your application.

Xoar E props:
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propellers/electric-props/PJN-Electric-Beechwood-Propeller/
+1

The PJN is a much better prop for your application. I have them for a 60 size electric motor that had a 10mm shaft and had to open up the 8mm hole but yours should fit just fine as is.