RCU Forums - View Single Post - Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
WVrailfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

I let my teenage niece fly my Trojan. It was her first time flying and she was doing pretty good, just flying lazy loops around the flying field. At one point she was letting it lose a little altitude so I mentioned that she should give a little up elevator, which she had done several times. She must have pushed the stick forward because, from about 60 feet up the Trojan dove straight into the ground at about 2/3 throttle. It happened very fast!

At first I wasn’t too concerned, the grass is tall and cushions most impacts, I know from experience. I thought I would just be gluing it back together later that evening.

Then…we saw, smoke! We grabbed a couple of bottles of water and ran the 100 feet or so to where the plane had crashed. The crash damage really wasn’t that bad, but apparently it was hard enough to damage the battery or the crash caused a short because the plane was engulfed in thick smoke as the lipo consumed itself.

The lipo burned through the bottom of the plane, taking the ESC with it, but by keeping water on the rest of the plane we saved the motor, RX and servos.

My niece felt terrible about destroying one of her uncle’s planes, but I assured her, I had crashed that plane more than once myself and her crash was at least much more spectacular and scale looking than any of mine. So I no longer have a PZ T-28, I have finished wrapping my FMS T-28!

Jim