RCU Forums - View Single Post - PROFI RAMBLER .049
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PROFI RAMBLER .049

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I would probably need to take off from some sort of portable runway and then just take my chances with the landing on really short grass. I've got no idea how much speed/distance they need to break ground...?

CP I have similar issues when it comes to flying FF Payload (now a dying class in NZ-generally only flown at the Nats-and even then only if they can get enough entries!) the need for a smooth takeoff area-I solved this by making a portable runway out of Coreflute 'fluteboard' that was about 20-ft long and folded up 'zig-zag' style to fit comfortably in the car along with all the gear. I just used brown packaging tape to attach each piece to the next one, putting the tape on alternate sides to allow for the zig zag fold.
Obviously for C/L use you would need to bevel the ends of adjacent sheets to create a curvature appropriate to your line length radius. I used 'weedmat' pegs to hold the thing down-these are like plastic tent pegs with about a 1/4" shank and a broad flat thin head (like a giant plastic flathead nail)-their normal use is for holding down weedmat in your low maintenance flower or shrub garden-the sort with bark or chips instead of bare soil. [I've also used cheap plastic tarpaulins such as you would get at Walmart and held then down the same way-these are OK if the underlying grass surface is fairly short-but not as smooth as the Coreflute approach-they did have the advantage-from my perspective-of not needing to be relocated if the wind direction changed-in that case the weedmat pegs went through the brass eyelet holes]
Even in a heavy Payload model, the takeoff run was only 5-10 feet.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'