RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fod screens impacts
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fod screens impacts

Those large scale FOD screens are designed for Take off and landing, once the plane would get to a relevant height they would open fully to prevent any crud being picked up which usually began from the landing gear flicking FOD about!

Not sure if many people have done it but FOD guards on the actual canards help if you don't wish to put a guard directly on the engine, in my Mirage 2000 I used 2 sheets of semi course mesh (1mm holes)on the left and right intakes, then internally I had a FOD guard on my JJ1400 as another precaution, I take off on Tarmac and Grass and found the front wheel would flick up a lot of grass, small twigs, grains of dirt etc, it's almost eliminated. If you're adding guards to the intake canards you can actually add several different types of mesh to prevent almost all the specs of potential dust, due to the larger surface area there's no strain on the engine. Another thing you can do is add an actuator to the canard guards to open them up fully once in flight if you felt there would be an air restriction.